Monday, August 29, 2011

SODA ADDICTS 101


I think Soda addiction should be qualified as a real addiction. I used to drink coke (or other kinds of soda) ALL THE TIME. Everyday and almost everywhere. Almost 8 months ago I realized I had to stop because soda and carbonated drinks aren't HEALTHY. Why should I choose to be healthy, well take a look at the infographic below.


Anyways, Other the period of 8 months I crave coke/sodas only when I'm REALLY thirsty (like today) or when it's REALLY hot, like the days I have to drive back from classes at noon. So TIP#1: Always stay hydrated and cool. 


I have relapsed a few times; I had 2 glasses of 7UP (not on the same day), for some reason I think 7UP is little healthier than coke or so I tell myself. I also had a half a bottle of Oronomin C, which is an energy drink and 100x WORSE than regular soda. In all cases, I had those drinks because there was no other option. TIP#2: Try to always carry a bottle of water with you.I don't always do, but its very helpful, because if there's an alternative available I always choose the alternative.

I prefer cool water over room temperature. We always have water in our fridge along with juices.
TIP#3: You gotta love the JUICE! For those days when water seems to BORING, juices are a great alternative. All fruit juices are delicious especially with lots of ICE. Carrot juice is also good. My favorites are: Strawberry Juice, Mango Juice, Orange Juice, and Minty Lemonade.


I love those little juice bottles they have at the supermarket. Also juice packs are good too but I think they have more water and sugar than bottled juice.You can drink milk if you want too. I'm not a milk person, but I love milkshakes every now and then. Sometimes, when I'm at the movies I'd have a bottle of Snapple if possible. But I guess Snapple isn't really healthy with all the sugar and preservatives.


TIP#4: Some juices are too heavy to have alongside a meal or overpowering in flavor. I usually drink water when I'm eating, but sometimes in restaurants the water tastes a bit stale so I go for juice. I found watermelon juice to be the BEST juice to drink alongside a meal. It's light and doesn't have an overpowering after taste (like Mango or Orange juice). If watermelon juice isn't an option, I'd usually go for Lemonade or a Minty Lemonade. TIP#5: Always have juice with lots of ICE. It just tastes better I promise!


I think everyone has their own way of dealing with Soda addiction and finding the right alternatives for them. So I recommend trying different types of bottled water and juices because I believe the difference matters! As long as you find alternatives you love, you CAN stay away from soda FOREVER.



P.S. This post deals with cool drinks. As for hot drinks, I love coffee, tea, and Chai 7leeb (milky tea). I think I'm addicted to tea, but I still haven't found a way to deal with that yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment