Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Assertiveness

I am currently reading a book on assertiveness. I find it hard to be assertive in some situations, and I thought this book would help me understand it more.


However.


Thinking about my intercultural communication studies, is assertiveness a universal skill (like leadership) or is it more a western construct? Is westernization one of the causes of my desire to be more assertive?

It is a very hard question.


Silence means different things to many people. Can assertiveness mean many things too?

In the book, there is an outline of assertiveness, aggressiveness, passivity, and passive aggressiveness, with a set of behaviors that go with the lot.

In some Asian cultures, silence is marker of strength. So does being assertive in that setting will lead to people seeing you as "weak"?

Is assertiveness a sign of strength in some cultures, but weakness in others?

What is the case of assertiveness in the UAE?

That's a LOT to think about.Hopefully, after completing that book I will have a clearer pictures and be able to answer those questions better.

What do you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment