Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Eastern Living


Two semesters ago I took an Islamic art and architecture class. I always loved Islamic patterns but this class made me fall in love with it all! The history, details, and influences behind it fascinated me. This is when I knew, my dream house would contain all those elements. Here are some lovely pictures of modern spaces employing Islamic architectural features. 

Islamic art/architecture has 3 main elements: 1) Foliage 2) Geometry 3) Calligraphy

 The oldest Islamic architectural site is the Holy Kaaba in Mekkah followed by the Dome of the Rock

My favorite Islamic architectural periods are: Mamluk (think carved domes and intricate wooden doors) Safavid (think colorful tiles), and Moroccan styles.

I leave with the contemporary take on Islamic architecture and decor:








No comments:

Post a Comment